Subject: Exabyte 8200 on 1.0, 1542B
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ted Nolan SRI Ft Gordon <ted@ags.ga.erg.sri.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/13/1995 10:58:32
Hello folks,

I just upgraded to 1.0.  I've got an exabyte 8200 8mm tape drive
(and a Sun CD drive) on my SCSI bus, which is driven by an Adaptec 1542B
on the ISA bus.

My recollection is that the 8200 worked (in generic mode) under 0.8.
I never could get it to work on 0.9, and under 1.0 when I try to use it,
I get a message to the effect that I'm trying to DMA outside of the ISA
bus.

This surprises me, since I only have 16M RAM in the system.

I'll admit that I moved inbetween 0.8 and 0.9, and that my 8200 may just be
flat broken now, but I think I treated it fairly gently..

So,

	1) Is anyone using an 8200 on x86 1.0/1542B ?

	2) What does the DMA message mean?

While I'm thinking about it, is tarring to a floppy on a Sun and extracting
on 1.0 working?  I haven't had very good luck..

				Thanks,

				Ted Nolan