Subject: Re: HELPME ...Installingerror
To: V. N. Jeronimus <v.n.jeronimus@student.utwente.nl>
From: Volker A.Brandt <vab@mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/12/1995 14:50:18
> Trying to install NetBSD was a disaster .....
[...]
> labeling disk wd1 .... wd1:cannot find label (no disk label)
> overwrite disk with DOS partition table (y/n) [n] ?

This is the problem.  NetBSD disklabel is utterly totally absolutely broken.
The last version I tried, with the help of nice Netters, was the one from
NetBSD 1.0beta. I spent an entire weekend on this. It zapped both my disks
about 50 times ... I can type in all my partition data from scratch using
Norton Diskedit in about five seconds now.  I gave up on disklabel.

> WHAT DO I DO WRONG??????

Nothing.  You must install the disklabel by hand.  This is a lengthy process;
I don't have time to explain now.  I'm sure one of the NetBSD gurus will jump
in.

> Another thing is that I need a boot selector.... Do you know a good one?

OS-BS is very good. I use the OS/2 Boot Manager, which also works fine.

Note that I don't know how the 1.0-current disklabel behaves.  Maybe the
problem has been fixed in the last few days.  I doubt it.

Note also that I have received some ~ 10 emails stating "you're stupid, try
<that> instead" -- all of those attempts have resulted in zapped partitions.
This does not mean that I won't listen to suggestions :-)

Good luck -- Volker

Germany held hostage: Four more years?			Volker A. Brandt
Internet: volker@iam.uni-bonn.de			Angewandte Mathematik
Phone/FAX: +49 228 63 36 84				(Bonn, Germany)