Subject: Re: mounting a dos HD under netbsd 1.0
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/12/1995 12:46:00
According to Ken Hornstein:

>>I am running netbsd on a PC and want to partition my hard disk to have
>>a small MS-DOS partition (bitten by the DOOM bug I'm afraid ;-).  I
>>have succeeded in partitioning the disk so that both NetBSD and DOS
>>happily coincide.  The partitioning I have looks like this:
>>
>>a:      0 -   31 cyls   DOS
>>b:      32 - 201 cyls   NetBSD
>>c:      32 - 201 cyls   NetBSD "whole disk"
>
>One question (not related to anything else):  Are these Unix partition letters?
>If so, then I assume it's not your boot disk.

Wups yep, my mistake.  Folks this drive is _not_ my boot disk.  I have
had a lot of helpful people point out that putting a file system on b
is not right because that is swap which, in the generic case, is very
true for a boot drive!

Note that you can config the kernel to use any partition on any drive
for swap by configing the "swap on" line in the kernel config file.
Fortunately, the swap code is smart enough not to use a partition for
swap if it is not labelled for swapping.

>You can use the NetBSD fdisk program to find out the exact geometry of
>the DOS partition, and plug that into disklabel.

Excellent idea, I did not realise that netbsd had an fdisk program!

Thanks to everyone for there input.

"Also, it takes a lot longer to get up North ..... The slow way"
        - "Clever Trevor" Ian Drury