Subject: Re: no nfs lock manager?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
From: Adam Glass <glass@NetBSD.ORG>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/1995 15:19:15
> No one's actually written one.  Sun released the spec for it, but my
> understanding is that the actual implementation for SunOS doesn't agree with
> the spec (If I'm wrong on this, please let me know).
>
> --Ken

There are a lot of rumours floating around on this particular topic.

As far as I know, Sun never published a spec for it directly.  However
X/Open did publish a spec for the locking protocol, presumeably with
Sun's help.  The accuracy and applicability of this material has not
been fully determined yet.

Other rumors suggest that the NFS3 spec contains the spec for the
locking protocol.  This is not true.  The NFS3 spec contains only a
page or two describing how the locking protcol must be modified to
support NFS3.  This document also claims that X/Open document is *the*
source to use.

The NFS3 spec comes with a hidden bonus...mainly a pointer to an nfs3
mailing list inside Sun full of techies and not marketing folk.  I've
been able to use this list to resolve some ambiguities/errors in the
X/Open spec.

later,
Adam Glass