Subject: 3c509 but maybe really intel pci chipset woes
To: help netbsd <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ron Minnich <rminnich@mini.sarnoff.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/06/1995 14:26:27
i have a couple of clone-o boxes with intel chipsets. they're basically
indentical cards, and they're isa, not eisa. BUT, the 3c509s i have work in
some and not others. the symptom is that i can read the id information of
the 509 just fine -- this is I/O address 0x100. I can read the enet
hardware address and other info fine. What doesn't work is that
the 509 never comes back after a reset has happened. The result is that
the product id at 0x30a always reads back as 0xffff. I can swap 509s
around and the problem stays with the box.

is there a setup issue with the pciset (i'm still waiting on my docs)
that could cause problems with the iob and other instructions?

any ideas welcome. This problem is observed with both netbsd and freebsd,
although the if_ep drivers are quite different.

ron

Ron Minnich                | Rumor has it that the Pentium floating point
rminnich@earth.sarnoff.com | fix will be announced Dec. 31.9999998, 1994
(609)-734-3120             | "There are two kinds of companies. The quick