Subject: Re: after fdisk'ing SCSI, can't boot DOS (was Re: big IDE disks (and DOS stuff - ugh!))
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marc Unangst <mju@cs.cmu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/05/1995 20:41:15
Wayne Berke@panix.com  writes:
>The only problem is, after I use either fdisk or pfdisk to create a new
>primary partition (with no errors), I can no longer boot DOS, even from
>the floppy.  My boot disk (MSDOS 6.20) gets as far as printing
>"Starting MS-DOS", then just hangs (with both floppy and hard drive
>lights off).  This happens whether I partitioned the whole disk for DOS
>or just part of it.

In order to have DOS and NetBSD coexist on the same drive, you need to
follow the instructions in the INSTALL document exactly.  Which is to
say:

1) Use FDISK and FORMAT under DOS to create and format the DOS
partition.  Make sure you give FORMAT the /S switch to make the
partition bootable.

2) Use pfdisk under DOS to create the BSD partition, and give it ID
code 165.

3) Install BSD, and give it the correct size and offset for the BSD
partition.

If you run fdisk /mbr under DOS, that should wipe the BSD boot stuff
from the hard drive and let you boot from the DOS partition, assuming
it is (a) marked as active in the partition table; and (b) set up to
be bootable (IO.SYS/MSDOS.SYS, etc.).  I'm not sure if the BSD
partition needs to be marked active after step (2) above, but I've
always done so just to be safe.