Subject: Re: 14k4 modems and NetBSD-1.0 ?
To: None <arne@pegasus.esprit.ec.org>
From: David Charles Todd <hacksaw@venus.gsd.harvard.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/1995 10:35:52
HiHo:

I ran into a similar problem with 0.9. The solution: set up the com
port to run at 38400. This is possible if your modem can use inline
compression (MNP5, i think it is. Or is that the error correction?).

In any case, you can setup the modem to always communicate at that
higher speed, even if it has negotiated the real speed down to
300. This is preferable to trying to always figure out what speed the
other side has. Bad enough that there are still sites using 7E2.

Sorry I can't offer you advice on /etc/remote, I use kermit. BTW,and
somewhat off the subject, it is possible to establish a connection
with kermit and then get rid of kermit and start up something else on
the line, keeping the connection. I use this to pass a connection to
my sweetie when we are trying to check e-mail from home. The key is to
use ctrl-\q rather than ctrl-\c quit. The latter hangs-up. (My
apologies if this is backwards, it's been a few months.)
--
Hacksaw