Subject: SUMMARY: Why does my machine crash?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/15/1994 17:56:45
A while ago I sent out this message (a bit edited....)

According to blymn:

>Folks,
>        Some of you may remember I complained about my machine
>crashing before on this list.  The advice was to get a later version
>of NetBSD.  I took this advice and have NetBSD 1.0 on my machine.  The
>bummer was that my machine still crashed when I thrashed the SCSI
>disks.  These were the errors I was getting:
>
>vmfault(f86bea00, 0, 1, 0) -> 1
>fatal page fault in supervisor mode
>trap type 6 code 0 eip f8123aff cs 8 eflags 10292 cr2 12 cpl 0
>panic: trap
>syncing disks ...
>sddump()   -- not implemented
>vmfault(f86bea00, 7ffff000, 1, 0) -> 1
>fatal page fault in supervisor mode
>trap type 6 code 7fff0000 eip f8129adb cs f8120008 eflags 10246 cr2 7fffffff cpl f8129a5c
>panic: trap

.... snip snip snip ....

>Machine details:
>
>486DX/25Mhz Micronics motherboard with 16Meg (now 12Meg) of RAM
>Adaptec AHA1542B SCSI controller with Wren VII and Maxtor LXT213 disks
>DTC ESDI controller with Wren V disk
>Wangtek QIC02 QIC tape drive
>a couple of generic serial cards
>ET4000 chipset VGA card
>
>OS: NetBSD 1.0 - no patches.

The general consensus was that I needed to stop my motherboard
remapping the memory between 640K and 1Meg into upper memory.

This sounded logical to me so I whipped out my trusty motherboard
documentation and found there was a switch called "15M+640K - 15M+896K
Not Mapping to 640K - 896K" which sounded like just the thing.  I
flicked the switch and when I booted the BIOS memory check complained
about memory not being there which I thought was logical.  It did
mutter about mapping stuff but I chose to ignore it....  The machine
booted fine up until the message about checking for core dump and it
hung.  I reset the machine and booted single user which was fine, did
some fsck's then tried to build a new kernel (to put ddb in) and I got
a panic - ufs_ishash or something, this was on my ESDI disk that did
not give me these problems previously.  So I flicked the switch back
to where it was and things boot fine.  I have put the machine back to
16Meg coz X was making the beast swap (well, not really X but the 1/2
dozen xterm windows, xearth, remote display of wordperfect and emacs
and other such things I use when I work from home probably did it...)
so I am planning just to be gentle with the box.

In conclusion, it seems YMMV with turning the mapping off - for me it
stuffs up other things.... sigh.  Right now a P90 with on board NCR
SCSI and a PCI bus is sounding pretty good but will have to wait for a
while.

BTW the BIOS I have is a Phoenix 80486 ROM BIOS Plus Version 0.10 F9
which does not let you do much in terms of controlling the memory
mapping etc (in fact it does none of this)

"Aha!  Pronoun problems.  It's not `shoot you, shoot you', it's `shoot me,
 shoot me'.  So, go ahead, shoot ME, shoot ME <BLAM>... You're Despicable"
                        -- Daffy Duck