Subject: ethernet devices in /dev
To: None <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
From: David Charles Todd <hacksaw@venus.gsd.harvard.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/1994 00:18:34
Well, I get a "can't open /netbsd" error when I try to do netstat -i.
This would probably stem from the fact that I am running off of
floppies, which stems from the fact that I can't get my harddrive to
boot. I can see it, label it, and newfs it, and copy to and from it,
but no boot.

The reason I am trying to hook up the network is to back up a few
files to a local server, after which I will wipe out the boot disk,
which contains a curious and likely improper mix of 0.9 and 1.0
binaries, and start over.

There is a strange bug which renders the screen exceptionally hard to
read if I boot by doing wd(0,a)/netbsd: The screen is remapped into a
few uneven quadrants which have a stable but random wrapping
destination. This interspersed with whatever is on the screen when it
first happens. This happens with the kcaha-1.0 + inst-1.0 floppies as
well, but it gets corrected for no apparent reason around the time the
system discovers a lack of an rc.

In any case your advice would be well appreciated.
--
Hacksaw