Subject: PCI SCSI suggestions (0.9 & 1.0)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: None <M.Osborne@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/22/1994 20:36:59
Hi,

I've asked this question already on 386bsd.questions, but without much
luck.  I currently run NetBSD 0.9 full source installation (with Swim)
on a Gateway 2000 4DX266P which is a PCI bus based machine.  I want to
upgrade to 1.0 at some point in the future, and I would also like more
disk space (two independant desires).

The question is should I just buy another wd2420 and forget PCI SCSI for
the moment, or should I go for PCI SCSI to get the advantages of SCSI
(greater speed, capacity of drives, a cdrom that NetBSD can recognize
etc).  If I decide to go the PCI route, which card(s) are worth
considering.

Am I right in thinking that the Buslogic 946 is PCI and supported in
NetBSD (0.9,0.1) ? Is an NCR based card better in some way ?

And finally (too many questions for one posting !) Is NCR 53C810 just a
chipset or is it the name of a card ? if it is a chipset, can anyone let
me know the name of some cards that include this chipset? Do I need a
particular PCI motherboard or BIOS to use one ?

Most of the companies here in the UK seem to be pushing Adaptec to the
exclusion of almost everthing else.  I haven't seen anything with NCR in
the name.

Well if you got this far, thanks for reading and staying awake (even if
you don't have any answers).

Mike
--
Michael Osborne	                  	Internet:  mlo@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College		Computer Science Dept