Subject: Multi Port Serial Cards
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sidney C Smith <scsmith@cbda9.apgea.army.mil>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/22/1994 09:00:29
Hello,

	I am looking at buying a mutli port serial card for my NetBSD
system.  I have seen the AST 4 card mentioned in the FAQ and in the
Installation instructions, but I can't seem to find any one who has
them.  What I have found is the Boca ioAT66 card.  Its specifications
are as follows:

	    *   6 high-speed RS-232 serial ports with 10-pin RJ-45
		connectors

	    *   Uses 16C550-type UART Technology with 16-byte
		transmit/receive FIFO

	    *   Preformance at speeds up to 115Kbps

	    *   Full modem control on all ports

	    *   Half-card size compatible with 8- and 16-bit ISA and EISA
		bus slots

	    *   Optional cables available for modems and terminals/serial
		printers

	    *   Jumper-selectable I/O addresses and IRQs support very
		flexible configurations

	    *   Programmable Interrupt Status Register

	    *   Maximum data throughput for high speed devices (e.g.,
		high-end modems)

	    *   Minimizes CPU I/O processing overhead by using 16C550
		UART FIFO buffering

            *   Eliminates I/O conflicts with flexible I/O address and
		IRQ settings

	    *   Allows custom applications to program the ISR to optimize
		all 6 ports concurrently.

	    *   Reduces Telephone expenses by shortening the duration of
		toll calls.

	The board supports sharing IRQ 4 or 5 with first I/O addresses of
3f8, 2f8, 3e8, 2e8, 3e8, 3e0, and 2e0 and alternate Addresses of 220,
228, 240, 248, 260, 268, and 208.  It looks like these are configured
with jumpers.  Each port can be configured to use an individual IRQ
4, 3, 10, 11, 12, and 15 or the shared IRQ.  It looks like each port
can be configured with a jumper to use either the first or the
alternate I/O address.  The seventh I/O address is for the interrupt
status register.

	My system is a 486DX66 with an ATIO card with two serial
ports, a parallel port, and a game port, an Adaptec 1524CF, and a
Trident 9400 TVGA card.  I am running NetBSD-1.0.

	I expect to recompile to have to recompile the the kernel,
but will this card work in this box?

chuck

scsmith@cbdcom.apgea.army.mil