Subject: Re: Anyone got mtools-2.0.7 compiled?
To: Thomas J. Trebisky <tom@as.arizona.edu>
From: Rafal Boni <r-boni@uiuc.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/17/1994 22:51:13
In message <9411171651.AA22144@canopus.as.arizona.edu>, you write:

-> > Why would you want to use mtools when you can just mount the msdos
-> > filesystem?
->
-> Well, I was not the original poster, but I was leery of doing so
-> because the CAVEATS line on the man page for mount_msdos says:
->
-> "The msdos filesystem is not known to work reliably with filesystems
->  created by versions of MS-DOS later than version 3.3"

	I have 3 DOS filesystems created by DOS 5.0 [2 on wd0, 1 on wd1]
	and 1 filesystem created by 6.2 [sd0].  Although stuff of the DOS
	6.2 filesystem is usually copied DOS->BSD, I have NEVER had a prob.
	with using any of the 3 DOS 5.0 filesystems to pass stuff either from
	DOS->BSD or BSD->DOS.

	In fact, I regularly mount my DOS drives, and even use one of them
	[a 300 meg partition on wd1] as a BSD temp drive, since I cannot give
	the BSD partition more space on that drive due to BAD144 constraints
	[the drive is a Maxtor 8760E ESDI 670Meg drive with about 30Meg of
	defects scattered over it... Obviously it doesn't get used for any
	critical stuff].

	I know other have had some probs. with MSDOSFS, but it works great
	here...

							--rafal