Subject: Re: Anyone got mtools-2.0.7 compiled?
To: Adam Glass <glass@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas J. Trebisky <tom@as.arizona.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/17/1994 09:51:26
> Why would you want to use mtools when you can just mount the msdos
> filesystem?

Well, I was not the original poster, but I was leery of doing so
because the CAVEATS line on the man page for mount_msdos says:

"The msdos filesystem is not known to work reliably with filesystems
 created by versions of MS-DOS later than version 3.3"

I am not sure what "not known to work reliably" boils down to, but
if perchance it involves roaching my msdos filesystem (which I need
for work related things), then I just cannot afford to gamble with
it.

Virtually all of the world that has to suffer with some form of DOS,
suffers with a form later than 3.3, so mtools would be an attractive
option till this bug, whatever it is, gets fixed.

--
	Tom Trebisky			Steward Observatory
	ttrebisky@as.arizona.edu	University of Arizona