Subject: Has anyone gotten their telnet to work with term?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Tamola <buckwild@u.washington.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/1994 14:33:14
Sorry to again bother you guys with a non-specific netbsd thing, but I
tried to post to the "term" mailing lists with no response, and posting
to comp.os.linux.help gets me no response either.  I hope someone out
there can help me, as I really have no where else to turn.

I have recently tried to recompile telnet with term support, but to no
avail.  I follow the instructions as written:

In the Makefile for /usr/src/usr.bin/telnet, I add to the last CFLAGS line:

CFLAGS+=-I${.CURDIR}/../../lib -include /usr/local/include/termnet.h

I then add in -ltermnet in the LDADD line, making sure that libtermnet is
in /usr/lib (actually a symbolic link to libtermnet in /usr/local/lib).
It looks like this:

LDADD=  -ltermnet -ltermcap -ltelnet

Note that I add -ltermnet before the other libraries as someone
suggested that to me some time ago.

I then compile up the sources, and everything goes completely clean with
no warnings or errors.  I then rename the resulting binary from "telnet"
to "telnet.term".  Finally, I try out the new binary:

ganja# ./telnet.term saul4.u.washington.edu
Trying 140.142.83.2...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Bad file descriptor

Okay, it didn't work, but it did get the IP address for the host
correctly.  It even gets the correct IP addressees for the other hosts I
try to contact.  I then try the same thing except with using the IP
address directly, and it comes up with the same error.

I can't figure out what's wrong.  Can someone who has their basic
networking utilities for NetBSD-1.0_BETA working with term-2.2.5 please
tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Do I have to actually modify some network
config files in /etc correctly before I can use telnet and ftp, etc. with
term?  If so, which files?

Thanks to anyone out there who has it in their heart to help me 8-).

Mark Steven de Sagun Tamola
buckwild@u.washington.edu