Subject: Re: NetBSD_1.0Beta crashing a lot
To: Pug <pug@arlut.utexas.edu>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/09/1994 16:39:26
According to Pug:

>Well I recently installed whatever is in the NetBSD_1.0 directory and
>Not only does it crash quite often, I still have the stupid cc: Internal
>errors that was supposed to be fixed when I was still looking at going
>from 0.9 to -CURRENT a couple months ago. This makes for making the
>Kernel a real bitch. As well, if I take the ALL config file, edit out
>what I want, I can't get the "make depend" to work. (It dumps a cpp.core
>file.) I haven't bothered chasing down what is causing it since right
>now I'm more worried about getting the kernel built at all so I can get
>my case back on and my computer back together. (I'm building a kernel to
>have it all on wd1.)

Dunno if you have tried this (I _assume_ you are running PC hardware)
but if you are brave what you can do is reseat all the socketed chips
on your board (like I said I had done).  PC manufacturers don't use
very high quality sockets on their boards and you can get chips
working loose over time - I had a PC at work that was having memory
problems that went away after reseating all the chips on the memory
board.

  Certainly my problem is not as chronic as yours - I can manage
a kernel depend/build and other compiles (emacs, xv and so on) without
drama just X is killing me.  Anyway, I have fetched the new binaries - the
source is on it's way (at a lordly pace of 340 bytes/s)

"Aha!  Pronoun problems.  It's not `shoot you, shoot you', it's `shoot me,
 shoot me'.  So, go ahead, shoot ME, shoot ME <BLAM>... You're Despicable"
                        -- Daffy Duck