Subject: Re: NetBSD_1.0Beta crashing a lot
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/08/1994 09:42:56
> > > There have been a *large* number of bugs fixed since August 1.  I would
> > > strongly suggest that you at least update your kernel.
> >
> > Well I recently installed whatever is in the NetBSD_1.0 directory and
> > Not only does it crash quite often, I still have the stupid cc: Internal
> > errors that was supposed to be fixed when I was still looking at going
> > from 0.9 to -CURRENT a couple months ago.
>
> do you have all of your caches turned off?  what kind of CPU do you have?
> it sounds like those may be your problem.  (we've not had any reports
> of problems like that from people not experiencing hardware problems
> of some sort or another, that i'm aware of.)

As well as the things Chris mentions above, and assuming this is i386, try

1. bumping up the number of wait states for your DRAM

2. try different cards - I've just got hold of a Spider Tarantula VLB
   S3 card, and I can reproduce Signal 11s, NMIs and spontaneous reboots
   with exactly the same system with 8-bit VGA and 16-bit VGA cards, but
   *NOT* with the VLB Spider. This is with SCSI discs or IDE.

3. try different chips - I swapped an old DX2/66 for a newer one, and this
   stopped me getting Parity errors - I know this points at cache chips,
   but the motherboard had remained exactly where it was, and I swapped
   only the CPU.

PCs - don'cha just lurve 'em...

Alistair
(Like the hyphens, Herb?)
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			   +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.