Subject: Micronics Pentium IDE, gives "READ ERROR" when trying to boot
To: None <netbsd-help@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: David Charles Todd <hacksaw@venus.gsd.harvard.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/07/1994 10:52:44
... from IDE.

The History is this: I went out and got me a micronics pentium-90. It
has built in IDE on PCI and on ISA. The problem is that it seems to
refuse to boot any disk I offer it, except for a kernel copy disk. The
disklabel on the wd seems fine, and I reinstalled the bootblocks again
just in case, but no dice. I can get in and see the stuff on the
disks.

I thought it might be the magic number, but they both report as 165,
so I don't get it. Has anyone run into this before?

Note: I am not at all running DOS, or any other OS.

Other notes: The CMOS setup is correct, and the BIOS setup program
does communicate with the newer disks as far as getting the geometry
from them.

Any help would be appreciated.

In a vaguely related note, I installed the 1.0 kernel (from late
october) onto my 0.9 root, so now, if I boot from there, the video
driver is quite screwed. I can see the text in the normal font, but
the mapping from the buffer to the display is mondo weird.

I am assuming that this is some bizarrity of the tty driver to the
console for the interactive portion of things, since it messes up and
then corrects itself if I boot totally from the floppy.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
--
Hacksaw