Subject: Re: dialup terminal lines
To: None <bmilliga@NMSU.Edu>
From: Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/06/1994 17:35:49
In message <199411060435.VAA15925@NMSU.Edu>, bmilliga@nmsu.edu writes:
>I am trying to set up a modem for a dialup line on a netbsd 0.9
>system.  The modem answers the phone, but I get no login response from
>the system.  Dialout on the modem works fine.
>
>The kernel configuration for the com port is
>
>	device com2 at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector comintr
>
>The /etc/ttys line is
>
>	tty02 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" dialup on
>
>Is there something else that must be configured?  Should there be
>a flags argument in the kernel configuration?  If so, what should it
>be and how can I figure it out?

Having just went through such an ordeal asking a certain nice gentleman
for help I will attempt to repay him by trying to help you...

In your gettytab make certain that you have the default configure for no
parity.  For example my default line is the following...

default:\
        :np:fd#1000:im=\r\n%s/%m (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200:

Also, make certain that for std.* entries that you have not set a
parity...

In my ttys file I have the following...

tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  vt100   on rtscts

Notice I do not have the 'dialup' setting.  Not certain what that is
exactly for.  If you find out please let me know.

The important part is to determine the speed at which your modem is
communicating with your computer at.  With my 28800 and 14400 they
communicate at 57600.  You need to set the appropriate std.* in your
ttys file.

After you have configured your system, restart init by sending a HUP
signal to it.  After you have a getty running on a tty you may have to
kill the tty after restarting init.

---
Kent Vander Velden
graphix@iastate.edu