Subject: installing netbsd10
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Littlefield <tsl@mv.MV.COM>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/05/1994 14:59:30
To Whom it may concern..

I am trying to install NetBSD on my Macintosh.  As of yet I have been
unsuccessful. I have used  Disk manager Mac to setup two A/UX partitions one
for swap one for the / directory.  I had then run the mkfs application
on it and that completed successfully.  I then tried to run the Install app
and I got the following errors:

MacBSD UFS file and install utility, 0.2
Copyright (c) 1993 BCDL Labs
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989 Regents of the University of California.
Allen Briggs, Chris Caputo, Michael Finch, Brad Grantham, Lawrence Kesteloot
Mounting partition 'A' as /
> install
Choose file #0 to unpack (0 is first)
Failure to convert tar header, 1....
Choose file #0 to unpack (0 is first)
Failure to convert tar header, 1....
Choose file #0 to unpack (0 is first)
tar header read operation cancelled

I had downloaded all but the comp10 binary files and all the transfers went
ok.  I tried to run MacGzip on them and when I did none of them decompressed
at all.  Do I have to use the UN*X version of gzip to decompress them and
then attempt the install?

Lost and confused in BSD land...

Also are there plans to port X11R4/5/6 to the MacBSD anytime soon?  If I have
not supplied enough information I can be reached here at

tsl@mv.mv.com

p.s.  I downloaded the files from gatekeeper.dec.com

Thanks for the help :)

						Todd Littlefield