Subject: install problems with 1.0
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Hogan <matth@hera.bf.rmit.edu.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/02/1994 16:18:29
I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to help me with a problem
that I seem to be having with installing NetBSD v1.0.

I've tried installing NetBSD on my machine with a no-name cheapie IDE
controller card and it works fine (just as I expected to).
I just recently purchased a VL bus multi i/o card to replace the old
(very slow) one that is in the machine, and I cannot get NetBSD to install.
The machine boots into unix fine, and than asks me all about the hard drive,
then I set it up to do the file copies (base10, comp10, etc..) and I get
either one (sometimes all) of these errors.

wd0: wdstart: timeout waiting for drq: status 0 error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 50 <rdy, seek done > error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 58 <rdy, seek done, drq > error 0
wdc0: lost interrupt: status 58 <rdy, seekdone, drq > error 4 < abort >

My machine configuration is as follows:

		486DX2-66 EISA/VL Mother Board (SIS chipset)
		16 Mb RAM
		1.44 Mb Floppy (drive a:)
		1.2 Mb Floppy (drive b:)
		Multi i/o IDE controller.  (VL if using new controller)
		540 Mb Hard Drive (disk 0)
			- Western Dig, 1048 cyls, 16 hds, 63 sects.
		40 Mb Hard Drive (disk 1)
			- MiniScribe
		180 Mb SCSI
		UltraStor 14F SCSI controller
			- Set at address $310 : not intending to talk
				to it through NETBSD just yet.
			- DMA: 7, IRQ:15
		SCSI CD-ROM drive.
		Pro Audio Studio sound card
			- IRQ & DMA set by driver when in use
		GRAVIS Ultra Sound sound card
			- IRQ & DMA set by driver when in use

I've tried installing NetBSD with and without the sound cards in the machine.
Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com> suggested that under NetBSD these might be
powering up in a funny configuration (in the absence of their drivers), but
still I cannot get NetBSD to install properly withmy new card.

The new IDE controller card that I purchased is a SIDE Pro. jr. from IWILL Corp.
The card boasts Enhanced IDE, enhanced Multi-IO compatibility. The controller
also has provisions for MODE3/BLOCK Transfers, MODE3/Non-BLOCK and Normal ( in
both BLOCK and Non-BLOCK). It also has support for >528Mb drives. Well, I've tried it in all of these modes (probably not a good thing, but I have) and it
still does not install NetBSD properly. I've generally had support for >528Mb
on, but have also tried it off.

Using the new IDE card, I also manage to TRASH (totally) the partition table on the IDE drive, this does not happen when using my old IDE controller, but
every time that I try to use the new one.

I'm currently running os/2 v2.99beta (from an extended dos partition), dos v6.2
(from a dos primary partition), NetBSD (with the old IDE controller) from a
primary partition, and Boot Manager ( os2's operating system boot control
program - this uses a primary partition.) It all works perfectly with the
old el cheapo IDE controller, but NetBSD refuses to install with the New one,
the other operating systems don't seem to  care what controller I'm using.

This seems to be a very curious problem to me, since the other os's seem to
work fine with the card, and it states the compatibilitie modes that it  runs.
Perhaps it makes a few too many assumptions about the OS it's running for
NetBSD ?? Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated....Especially
by anyone that knows what's going on 'cos I sure don't!

Thanks heaps,

Matthew Hogan.

matth@hera.bf.rmit.edu.au
s892983@minyos.xx.rmit.edu.au