Subject: FAQ section for features reported as bugs?
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: David H. Gutteridge <dhgutteridge@sympatico.ca>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 10/14/2007 00:52:07
Hi all,

I was having a look through the general FAQ, and wondered what people
thought about adding a section to deal with questions about features
that are sometimes misconstrued as bugs.  Or to borrow from the Perl
documentation's phrase, that are "traps for the unwary".

A case in point: I was doing some testing with a serial console, and
rebooted the machine that the console was directed to, finding myself
in the kernel debugger when I next checked the target machine.  Being a
serial console neophyte, I wondered if this was a bug, so I searched the
PRs and found these:

http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=17919
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=36884

Something like this could just as easily go under the existing "common
(and less common) problems" section, but I wondered if there was some
value to having an explicit listing of items sometimes reported as bugs
that are no such thing.  I've seen other projects that do this.  (There
could be a link to this list on the bug reporting instructions too.)

Regards,

Dave