Subject: Re:7 points user's memo (was why XML?)
To: =?UTF-8?Q?Przemys=C5=82aw_Pawe=C5=82czyk?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
From: Daniel de Kok <daniel.de.kok@orange.nl>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/02/2007 23:55:12
Przemys=C5=82aw Pawe=C5=82czyk wrote:
> 1) do we take the status quo for granted?

[snip]
>=20
> 1) "WWW Team" and "Wiki Team" will be "formally" elected (with
> common sense on mind of course :-) ) with __member names available to
> all__.

That's great and all - have fun with your own revolution. In the end
the WWW team has to answer and handle every e-mail and request to the
www@ and mirrors@ list. Practically, this means that members of the
WWW team take care of all incoming questions/requests/etc. for a whole
week in turns.

Do you have any idea how many people have the dedication to do this
for years? There has been some fluctuation over the years, but basically
this has been the same team of about five or six persons. Others have
tried this, but it takes a lot of time, love, and dedication to do it
longer than just a few weeks.

Yes, building a website does not take too much work. We are all able
to do that. But we have to handle a tree of hundreds of documents
week after week, month after month, and year after year.

You can help, and new people are invited in the team. But only after
they have contributed a significant amount of work. In this community
you are not judged by the amount you talk, but by the amount you
contribute.

Not happy with the guide? Send patches. A lot of us have made patches
against the guide ever since it was converted from troff to DocBook.
Most opensource projects will tell you to do the same thing, or no
actual work will ever be done.

> 5) Developers and programmers (or WWW Team) will determine weak points
> in NetBSD Docs and will start to improve the situation. The call for
> help from community will be issued (also as a form of invitation and a
> sign of ceasetions of hostilities ;-) ).

Again, fine and all. Submit fixes and additions. You can't force anyone
to do anything. Did you react to my request for working on translations
of the guide, which was a kind invitation for people to get involved?

-- Daniel