Subject: Re: Guide translations (call for volunteers)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: None <danieldk@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 01/06/2007 08:06:08
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Daniel de Kok wrote:
>> The old translation of the book is available from:
>> http://www.lindloff.com/netbsd/handbuchmap.html
>>
>> It is probably best to coordinate translation efforts with Jan
>> Schauman as he is the contact person for the German translation
>> team. Thorsten Lindloff used to coordinate the German translation
>> of the Guide, but his e-mail address seems to bounce.
>
> IIRC Thorsten did a translation from XML to HTML.

Hmmm, I checked the HTML files, and they were edited with various programs
like StarOffice. OTOH it has DocBook-style IDs. Do you know how Thorsten
can be contacted?

> I'm not sure we should force/prod translators into using our toolchain
> though.

AOL. At the moment, I guess it is preferable. But I wouldn't blame any
translator for using a more comfortable tool (LyX, TeXMACS?). Since it is
more or less the idea to keep translations off-site, we don't have much
control over it anyway. As long as it looks, walks, and quacks like the
Guide :).

-- Daniel