Subject: Re: NetBSD Documentation Framework - how to do it
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 12/14/2006 07:33:53
"James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote:
> Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> > This can (and is) done in the following forms:
> >
> > 	- web-site
> > 	- documents for offline browsing
> > 	- documents for printing (including books)
> > 	- other forms (not addressed here): verbal, prezos, ads...
> >
> > Can you use Jade as solution for the first three? Yes, but it has
> > not been adopted for this yet.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "it has not been adopted for this yet."
> Jade obviously outputs HTML and PDF.  From my POV, that satisfies the
> domain [1,3].
>
> If you mean "has not been adopted by the NetBSD project", then, sure, of
> course.

Please compare the following two guides:

	- http://www.ua.netbsd.org/guide/download/netbsd-en.pdf.gz
	- http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bsdhks/chapter/hack67.pdf

Next, please compare the following two web-site frameworks:

	- NetBSD DocBook Website based htdocs/share
	- Apache Forrest

And let me cite yourself: ``In order to accept this you should
think about web-site as not about pile of [HTML] files available
via HTTP, and about printable books as not about pile of pages
which you can send to printer.''

Yes, there is a difference between web-site and pile of files.
Someone can neglect this difference and call their pile as "web-site".
But we usually referring the same thing as "bad web-site". Even
worse for books.

--
Mishka.