Subject: Re: INSTALL thoughts
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 10/30/2006 20:58:35
Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > 8.  There's a claim that "We are planning future support for many of
> > these devices" beneath a list that includes QIC-40 and QIC-80 tape
> > drives.  Is it credible?
>
> No.
> The whole hardware list needs a LOT of work,
> or just a bullet in the head... (the latter's easier IMHO).

Ah, bullet as metaphor, not as typography?  ;-)

I don't know about you, but I think the  INSTALL document doesn't need a
can-do hardware list anymore.  What would be *much* better -- and less
resource intensive, after it's in place -- is a separate database of
devices organized by architecture and release.  That would be something we
could produce reports from or perhaps support interactive queries for on
netbsd.org.

In the meantime, it could be a simple text document included in the
distribution, and/or converted to html etc. along the lines of INSTALL.

> > manual is organized and how to use man(1).  I'd be willing to try to
> > improve it.
>
> That would be greatly appreciated. Please make sure you send (unified)
> diffs against the files in src/distrib/notes/common (etc.) on
> NetBSD-current.

OK, I'll work on it.  Thanks for your thoughts, Hubert.

--jkl