Subject: NetBSD Guide section 12.8: some incompletness
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov@tut.by>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 09/07/2006 23:43:01
12.8. Using audio CDs with NetBSD
subsection 2. To read ("rip") audio tracks)

Sorry for being intrusive, but this section is somewhat incomplete too.

Things described is there just don't work (at least with
cdparanoia) because the ordinary users have no write permissions to
/dev/cd0X devices required to grab CDs.
The default permissions are root:operator - 640.

I see the following solutions for this:
- chmod +s /usr/pkg/bin/cdparanoia
  that allows wheel members to grab CDs.
  For obvious reasons this is probably the worst method.
- chmod g+w
  Bad too. CD grabhbing users should not be able to reade sdX/wdX.
- chmod o+rw
  No comments
- Configuring /etc/ttyaction in order users to take ownership
  of cdXY device files.
  I didn't try this because I don't know how to configure this in case of
  XDM login.

- groupadd cdrom
  useradd -G cdrom <username>
  chgrp cdrom /dev/cdXY
  chmod g+w /dev/cdXY

  In my veiw this way is the best one, but there are a few questions.
  Can permissions and ownership of /dev files be overriden
  by some programs, i.e.
  NetBSD base system upgrade or pkgsrc packages or something else?
  Does anything run MAKEDEV -f? Or I can change ownership/permissions
  of /dev files as I want to?

I hope that somebody update this section.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.