Subject: Re: simplifying htdocs build procedure (long term)
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 01/30/2006 08:35:17
--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

Hiroki Sato <hrs@NetBSD.org> wrote:
=20
>  Well, I have some ideas to simplify the current structure as well as
>  the build process itself, so I would like to work as a coordinator for
>  improving our whole htdocs/ structure with incorporating this discussion.

Thanks, that would be great!

>  Although this sort of discussion is useful, without actual implementation
>  we will not reach a consensus and tend to fall into a matter of preferen=
ce,
>  I think.  However, it will take some time anyway though htdocs/ needs
>  to be up-to-date at any time, so how about making a branch for
>  restructuring and discussing this topic with implementing ideas?

I agree that this is a good idea, but I'd suggest that we first make a
decision which steps to take, then branch.  If you already have precise
ideas, I'd say post them here and then go ahead and create a branch.

>  I know many people are not familiar with XML (and XSLT) and want to
>  avoid them if possible, but I personally think using DocBook and XML
>  is not wrong and the culprit is our poor usage of them.

That's what I was suspecting.  Though Julio makes some good points, too.
Overall we probably want to stick with XML+XSLT, it seems, but consider
abandoning DocBook.  Let's see what kind of improvements you have in
store for us. :-)

-Jan

--=20
The reader is encouraged to add smileys where necessary to increase
positive perception.  Right here might be a good place:

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v--