Subject: Re: File systems documentation
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 01/27/2006 10:32:21
I was just thinking about this minutes before I read your email. Good
timing! (I was looking at sys/conf/files and see that it appears to be
different from FreeBSD.)

I think the "Design and internals of NetBSD" should be a separate document
as I can see it will grow and is targeted to a different audience than
NetBSD users.

Yes, please commit to htdocs.

Dave Burgess started work on a similar book a few years ago:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-docs/2001/07/18/0001.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-docs/2001/07/18/0000.html

and others have parts too that we can ask if we can integrate.

Also, maybe parts of our http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/ can
be integrated into it -- especially so we don't waste time documenting
things twice.

And maybe some sections from SMM "Building 4.4BSD Kernels with Config" are
still relevant and can be used for ideas or beginnings or at least section
headers.

I have two TODO items that I want to see in book:

- document sys/conf/files format

- document how to create an LKM out of something and add to tree

Thanks... I look forward to reading your file systems documentation.

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/