Subject: Re: docs for doing binary upgrade without sysinst?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 12/17/2005 03:55:30
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> - extract kernel

After that step, I definitely recomment rebooting - extracting new
binaries will give you a hard time without the new kernel running.

Plus you can easily see if 3.0 works out ok even with the old userland,
and it's easy to go back in case there are problems. If you detect that
after you've updated the userland, it's a lot more pain.

> - extract etc set to somewhere other than etc

I'd say extract all the sets + base after you're sure the new kernel
works. (This can be days and weeks after booting the new kernel!)

Extract with 'tar --unlink'.

> - use postinstall
> - use etcupdate

I think one of them is enough, postinstall is non-interactive, while
etcupdate is interactive. (Maybe I'm missing details here)

> Do we have a "todo" list for the NetBSD Guide?

Not that I know of. We don't have a real maintainer either.

> This reminds me ... probably the Documentation/current parts can be made less
> specific to just -current and this merged into Guide. And point to that URL
> instead of having different docs to maintain.
>
> Same thing for INSTALL documentation. Maybe should simplify this. Take out
> parts and merge into Guide and then point to Guide as needed for more
> details.

Merging documentation and removing redundancy sounds very good.

  - Hubert