Subject: Re: FreeBSD User Management documentation
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Liam J. Foy <liamfoy@sepulcrum.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 11/03/2005 22:58:28
On 23:46, Thu 03 Nov 05, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Liam J. Foy wrote:
> >>Looking a bit closer, I actually think that the whole "6. The second boot"
> >>chapter should be removed, as the mounting of CD-ROMs and floppies is
> >>covered in 13. Using removable media", system shutdown and rebooting
> >>should be in 5.10 "Rebooting the system".
> >
> >I agree here. I have currently moved 6.7 into 5.10.
>
> Looking at 5.10 "Rebooting the system", this contains more information,
> and it should also point to further information, at least the afterboot(8)
> manpage for a lot more data.

Already done that =)

> I'd suggest renaming the existing 5.10 from "Rebooting the system" to
> "Things to check after the first complete boot".
>
> Then add 5.11 "Rebooting the system" which basically has data from 6.7.

Yes, this idea sounds much better. Current 5.10 titles seems weird
in relation to what it contains =).

> >Am thinking of
> >moving 6.1(dmesg) into 5 (first boot). What you think?
>
> Sounds good - as first section before the existing 5.1.

Cool

> >As for 6.4, am not too sure on what would be the best place.
>
> Me neither.
>
> How about putting it into 13. "Using removable media" and rename that to
> "Using removable media and disks"?
>
> Or adding a new chapter "Disks and Filesystems" before the existin 13.
> which could take this information, and which should be merged with lots of
> data from the "Disks &
> Filesystems" section of http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/.
>
> But maybe do one thing at a time...

I think renaming "Using removable media" to "Using removable media
and disks" sounds good. I agree, one thing at a time. Lets just
dismantle this 'second boot' stuff and move them around. I'll do
that first before looking at adding our new chapter.

--
		Liam J. Foy
		liamfoy@sepulcrum.org