Subject: Re: guide - czech translation
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@NetBSD.org>
From: rudolf <netbsd@eq.cz>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 09/04/2005 01:13:51
Rui Paulo wrote:
> On 2005.08.26 23:14:20 +0000, rudolf wrote:
> | I can't make the html files with the charset=ISO-8859-2 head, with
> | "XML_ENCODING= iso-8859-2" in Makefile I achieved only ISO-8859-1 with
> | the specific czech characters in body as html entities. So the one html
> | file currently published is generated without "XML_ENCODING= iso-8859-2"
> | in Makefile and the charset is manually changed. What's the canonical
> | way of generating different charset head here, please?
>
> Isn't best to use XML entities to display czech characters?

IMHO, no.

> | In the chap-intro-applications section is also a todo mark:
> | <!-- *** TODO *** other emulations -->
> | Here definitely should be the NetBSD's capabiliy of backward
> | compatibility. I've not seen very much operating systems, but I think
> | the NetBSD's smooth way of upgrades makes it really different from them.
>
> Err, what has backward compatibility to do with emulations ? I think that
> comment is there because the next <para> misses some emulations like
> Darwin, OSF1, Linux, Irix, etc.
>
> 		-- Rui Paulo

Maybe I am just being confused by the name? Is the in-kernel mechanism
totally different?

# Compatibility options
options         COMPAT_NOMID    # NetBSD 0.8, 386BSD, and BSDI
options         COMPAT_09       # NetBSD 0.9
options         COMPAT_10       # NetBSD 1.0
options         COMPAT_11       # NetBSD 1.1
options         COMPAT_12       # NetBSD 1.2, 386BSD, and BSDI
options         COMPAT_13       # NetBSD 1.3, 386BSD, and BSDI
options         COMPAT_14       # NetBSD 1.4
options         COMPAT_15       # NetBSD 1.5
options         COMPAT_16       # NetBSD 1.6
options         COMPAT_20       # NetBSD 2.0
options         COMPAT_43       # 4.3BSD, 386BSD, and BSDI
options         COMPAT_SVR4     # binary compatibility with SVR4
options         COMPAT_IBCS2    # binary compatibility with SCO and ISC
options         COMPAT_LINUX    # binary compatibility with Linux
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD  # binary compatibility with FreeBSD
#options        COMPAT_MACH     # binary compatibility with Mach binaries
#options        COMPAT_DARWIN   # binary compatibility with Darwin binaries
#options        EXEC_MACHO      # exec MACH-O binaries
#options        COMPAT_PECOFF   # kernel support to run Win32 apps

r.