Subject: [RAIDframe] 16.3.7 Setting up kernel dumps
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Ryan Cresawn <cresawn@chass.utoronto.ca>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 08/15/2005 12:09:24
Hi,

I've just joined this mailing list because I'd like to offer some
constructive criticism and assistance, if I can, in improving the
RAIDframe documentation.  Please view this URL:

http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-rf.html#chap-rf-setup-kerneldump

The trouble I'm having is that the sparc64 documentation for this
section is absent.  In fact, I'm stuck at this point in the
configuration of my RAID-1 setup and don't feel comfortable proceeding
until I can get a better understanding of how this process differs on
sparc64 from i386.  There is good documentation for i386 for this
section.  I have used an old version of this document to configure
RAID-1 on an i386 computer in the past running NetBSD 1.6.2.

The first two commands of this section are probably unchanged from
what is written as i386 specific:

# disklabel raid0
# /dev/rraid0c:
type: RAID
disk: raid
label: default label
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 128
tracks/cylinder: 8
sectors/cylinder: 1024
cylinders: 34549
total sectors: 35378432
rpm: 10000
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

3 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:  33804288         0     4.2BSD   2048 16384 28368  # (Cyl.      0 -  33011)
 b:   1573888  33804288       swap                     # (Cyl.  33012 -  34548)
 c:  35378432         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -  34549*)

# disklabel sd1
# /dev/rsd1c:
type: SCSI
disk: mydisk
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 248
tracks/cylinder: 19
sectors/cylinder: 4712
cylinders: 7508
total sectors: 35378533
rpm: 7200
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

3 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:  35378533         0       RAID                     # (Cyl.      0 -   7508*) c:  35378533         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -   7508*)

The use of the 'dc' command gets a bit confusing due to the offset of
'sd1a' on sparc64 being 0 as opposed to 63 on i386.  What is equally
confusing to me is that since 'sd1a' and 'sd1c' have the same size it
appears I have left no room for a swap partition at 'sd1b'.  I
followed the instructions as closely as possible but seem to have run
into a problem I don't know how to solve on my own.  Any help you
could provide with my specific problem or any documentation updates
that someone could make based on the solving of this problem would be
wonderful.  I am happy to document the sparc64-specific section of the
RAIDframe documentation and send a unified diff file if that would be
desirable.

Many thanks in advance,
Ryan