Subject: Non-english characters on events and news pages
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 07/13/2005 12:10:36
Greetings!

Using non-ASCII characters at titles on gallery/events.html and
Changes/index.html pages would result in invalid <lang>/index.html
pages. This happens because source headers are ISO-8859-1 encoded, but
native charset of <lang> pages is differ - characters used at
ISO-8859-1 charset completely isn't appropriate for UTF-8 and have
incorrect meanning for some other encodings (say, KOI-8).

Currently, the "Sao Paulo" (S&atilde;o) on events page breaks at least
all UTF-8 indeces (ko, ru). I haven't checked the rest <lang>/
index.html pages, but they also may be affected.

Thus, to workaround the problem we should replace "S&atilde;o Paulo"
with simply "Sao Paulo" for <title/> tag. Should I do this?

The solution IMHO looks as follows, but wasn't implemented yet:

	[<lang>/]index.html = (gallery/changes.xml + [<lang>/]index.xml) * xsltproc

--
Best wishes,
Mishka.