Subject: Re: call for volunteers: update flyer
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 07/10/2005 16:09:24
--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

"James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote:
=20
> But the real question is, can we not claim:
>=20
> "NetBSD runs on more hardware platforms than any other operating system of
> any kind -- free or proprietary -- from the VAX 11/750 to the latest PCs
> and Windows CE palmtops."

I don't think so, at least not like this.  Linux has been ported to more
platforms than NetBSD, but of course the important difference is that
that only includes the kernel, stitched together from (unsupported)
patches floating around the internet, while NetBSD supports all
platforms from one and the same source tree.

So the phrase ``NetBSD runs on more hardware platforms'' is not entirely
accurate, while the more often used ``NetBSD is the most portable OS''
is.

-Jan

--=20
Information wants to be free.