Subject: Re: NetBSD Guide
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 06/21/2005 10:32:02
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:49:56 +0200 (CEST)
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> > I was a little bit confused why the NetBSD Guide isn't available in PDF
> > Format? You would say "it is", yes, but after downloading and unpacking a
> > .gzip. I would like to open the PDF directly.
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/download/netbsd-en.pdf.gz gives me a working
> PDF file after gunzip - what exactly did you download, and what happened?

Hubert, Zafer meant we should store *not* compressed guide on the web
site, thus it's possible to open the PDF directly from the web.

Zafer, it's recommended to use HTML guide for online reading.

> > The next thing is, that whoever converted the PDF to HTML/SGML has not used
> > the same Charset/Fonts / Stylesheets. The online Guide looks ugly compared
> > the PDF. For example the spaces on the left and right side of each page are
> > missing. It written full width. That's not a Documentation Standart, I
> > suppose.

The Guide is written on bit extended XML/DocBook.

For online reading and local printing we have a formats, appropriate
enough to do these things. I.e. HTML is well enough for online
browsing, and the PS/PDF is looks good for printing. That's all.

Yes, AFAIK there are no predefined corporate standards for
documentation design. If you have any ideas on them, could you please
create some open and flexible implementation? Please note we're use XML/
DocBook as source format and IMHO you should start from stylesheets
customization.

--
Kind regards,
Mishka.