Subject: Re: htdocs layout [was Re: CVS commit: htdocs]
To: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.apr.fuenf@onlinehome.de>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/28/2005 12:38:41
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:18:35 +0200
Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.apr.fuenf@onlinehome.de> wrote:

First, excuse me please for the delayed reply. Your messages was
hidden from me in the collapsed thread of my MUA. Sorry.

> [ I have sent this Bcc: www@ in case they missed this ]
>
> Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
>
> > What about movement the whole English site to it's own subdirectory -
> > htdocs/en? As I have posted few month ago (but haven't got reply yet),
>
>   [ consistent language specific layout of web site ]
>
> > Then, all makefiles should include link to share/mk/web.site.<lang>.mk
> > (which will include share/mk/web.site.mk) only and it would "did a
> > magic". IMHO, this will look much cleaner and easy to understand.
>
> Your proposal has a certain appeal to me, probably because the current
> state is somewhat "asymmetrical" (is there a better word?).
> On the other hand, the large amount of English pages would get shuffled
> around without a real gain in information.
> CVS does not support renaming/moving files and directories, so we would
> lose CVS history for all English files if we just add them again.
[snip]

Yes, this might be obstacle. Thus, will give it up for a while. :-/

I've seen many discussions around AnonCVS troubles with various
suggestions, where one of them was Subversion. Seems, there is also the
case, when SVN gets yet another plus. Briefly looking over such
discussion archives, I've found the primary problem for CVS to SVN
migration is a scalability issues and lack of experience. If so, it's
possible to take just one of small CVS modules (htdocs, pkgsrc,
possible othersrc?) and getting started with it.

For example, I'm personally have no troubles with ruNetBSD Subversion
based repository which is just a work-in-progress copy of htdocs.

--
Mishka.