Subject: Re: htdocs layout [was Re: CVS commit: htdocs]
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.apr.fuenf@onlinehome.de>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/16/2005 16:18:35
[ I have sent this Bcc: www@ in case they missed this ]

Mike M. Volokhov wrote:

> What about movement the whole English site to it's own subdirectory -
> htdocs/en? As I have posted few month ago (but haven't got reply yet),

  [ consistent language specific layout of web site ]

> Then, all makefiles should include link to share/mk/web.site.<lang>.mk
> (which will include share/mk/web.site.mk) only and it would "did a
> magic". IMHO, this will look much cleaner and easy to understand.

Your proposal has a certain appeal to me, probably because the current
state is somewhat "asymmetrical" (is there a better word?).
On the other hand, the large amount of English pages would get shuffled
around without a real gain in information.
CVS does not support renaming/moving files and directories, so we would
lose CVS history for all English files if we just add them again. I did
this for the Swedish pages because a) there were very few pages and b)
docbook only supports the correct language code "sv", not the country
code "se".

> This looks bit silly. Why not set WEB_PREFIX just inside primary
> Makefile, and use Makefile.inc only for directories, when it is really
> needed?

This is simply true, I would also vote for removing Makefile.inc where
it does nothing else than setting WEB_PREFIX.

ciao
     Klaus