Subject: The NetBSD Guide: first pass for NetBSD 2.0 done
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 12/14/2004 02:43:30
Well, subject says it all - I'm done with a first pass through (the
english version of) the NetBSD Guide for updating it for NetBSD 2.0. I'm
sure there are many nits left, and I'd appreciate if you could take a look
and send me mail with what I've forgotten.

The updated version of the NetBSD Guide is available at:

  * HTML: http://www.NetBSD.org/guide/en/
  * PDF: http://www.NetBSD.org/guide/download/netbsd-en.pdf.gz
  * PS: http://www.NetBSD.org/guide/download/netbsd-en.ps.gz

See http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/ap-contrib.html for more information on
contributing to the NetBSD Guide.

FWIW, my list of things to do is:
  * describe DSL setup in chap-net
  * move from /etc/ifconfig.* to rc.conf's ifconfig_*
  * move from /etc/mygate to rc.conf's defaultroute
  * Capitalize all <note>s
  * .) => ).
  * Move <note>s to normal paragraphs - more readable
  * Someone check "Connecting NetBSD and Windows NT", and
    "Connecting NetBSD and Windows 95", update for WinXP
  * chap-dns: Should be written from scratch, with giving proper definitions
    of concepts like "zone" and "ressource record", SOA, A, AA, NS,
    in-addr.arpa, ....
  * chap-mail: add example on setting up some spam filter (spamassassin,
    spamprobe)
  * Look at FreeBSD handbook, and see if we can use some chapters
    from it (check license!): localization, PPPoE
  * Merge chap-kernel.xml and chap-build.xml
  * Add IDs for all sections

If you want to help out with any of these, let me know!

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)