Subject: Re: building -current (was Re: reproducible kernel panic w/ 2.0RC4MP)
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 11/08/2004 19:13:01
> > That's probably OK. But, if the only thing you want to do is to wire
> > down one SCSI device, then why do you compile -current? I'm just
> > curious.
>
> It's probably my lack of experience, but I was unable to see a way to
> get config (kernel file) to do the wiring. Since my previous experience

Maybe http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#scsi_device_numbers will
help you.

> with *BSD has been in OpenBSD, I was comfortable with compiling a
> kernel with a rewired configuration file, or at least, I thought I was.

But, why did you do it with -current kernel sources instead of the same
version that you were using (2.0RC4)?

> With two identical NetBSD installs on two separate hard drives on the
> same Mac, there appears to be a problem with properly identifying the
> boot device and the assumption is sd0; however, if the boot device is
> actually a higher target ID in the SCSI chain, it gets attached as sd1
> while the kernel appears to go looking for /sbin/init on sd0. Changing

To temporary fix this you should be able to boot with the -a flag and when
the kernel asks for the root filesystem, enter sd1.

> > I do not thing that the interface between kernel and userland between
> > RC2 and RC4 changed.
>
> I was not sure, but since the original post from me was due to a
> reproducible kernel panic in RC4 GENERIC.MP and I still had RC2
> userland, I had to see if I could repeat the panic with a consolidated
> kernel and userland (I can). I got the RC4 kernel because

In general, unconsolidated kernel and userland shouldn't cause panics and
if they do, it's a bug, not your error.

> > But, if you just type "config", it won't be used, because it woiil
> > find the config that you have in your $PATH, not the nbconfig from
> > tools.
>
> Is this true even after a complete build and install of -current
> userland?

After install, no. But this probably doesn't help you, because you need to
have a working kernel first to install the -current userland. (newer
kernel is compatible with older userland, but not vice versa, so if you
install -current userland while you are still using old kernel, you are
lost.)

> > > I took the document to describe two separate approaches, in which
> > > the steps were independent of each other. Is this incorrect?
> >
> > which document?
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#using-anoncvs

The document seems confusing at least.

Bye	Pavel