Subject: Changes to NetBSD.css for DocBook attributes pre.screen
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 08/18/2004 11:45:34
	When you examine the sister-documents to The Guide, namely The FreeBSD
Handbook and the OpenBSD FAQ, The LDP HowTos, etc, you'll find that
on-screen input/output is much easier to distinguish from other text,
making it much more enjoyable to read.  If any other attribute
contributes to that behavior, it's probably a small left-margin offset
which helps to create abstraction from paragraph text.  We might
consider a small, subtle modification to the /NetBSD.css which would
*greatly* improve readability while still making the document render on
a vt100 running Lynx (of course, none of the illustration graphics are
viewable for such users, and an ASCII or PS text copy is always
available, so I'm not certain what level of concern still exists for
level of backward compatibility / lowest-common-denominator support).

Something small such as:

pre.screen {
        margin-left: 3ex;
        line-height: 1.0;
        color: #461b7e;
}

...as seen in FreeBSD would do.  Indent the margin on the left and
change the font color.

	If you look at say, the LDP How-Tos, instead of using a left-margin,
they simply change the font family for example text to a monospace.
Unfortunately you can't rely on most browsers to select a proper default
fixed width font for 'monospace', so the combination of the left margin,
the fixed-width font, and the table background shading as already seen
in the NetBSD.css "programlisting" are a tremendous help.  Example:

pre.screen {
        background-color: #dfdfdf;
        font-family:monospace;
        white-space: pre;