Subject: Re: Content of the Guide (was Re: RFC: Chapter 9. Compiling the kernel)
To: Daniel de Kok <danieldk@pobox.com>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 08/10/2004 10:55:04
Sorry for the delay.

> Please, be aware that the guide serves a different purpose. For instance,
> there were some plans to print the guide. A printed guide would be useless
> for most people if some major topics are only covered on the website. Besides

OK, I didn't know that. I did some very quick research and I found that:

- FreeBSD has both a FAQ and a handbook. But FreeBSD probably has much
  more resources to spend on maintaining possibly duplicated information.

- OpenBSD has a FAQ only, whose content seems to be quite similar to the
  various NetBSD FAQs at www.netbsd.org/Documentation, but it is organized
  in chapters and available in the installed system, also in PDF format,
  so it is probably better suited to printing as a book.

Could the goals that you mention be achieved with less duplication of
information and maintenance effort by providing the (possibly
restructured) FAQs instead of the guide, maybe in a manner similar to
OpenBSD?

> that I have had many positive comments regarding the guide, and the Dutch
> translation. Many people seem to like that they can download one complete

See the discussion on port-macppc (cited in one of my previous emails) for
a not-so-positive comment.

Bye	Pavel