Subject: xmlto
To: docs <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 05/01/2004 18:01:50
Is there any move afoot to move from mdoc to DocBook for man pages?  If
so, what tools are NetBSD folks using?

I think it's generally accepted nowadays -- surely, if one listens to ESR
-- that man pages should be authored in (xml) DocBook.  I have cause to
write a few man pages, and learning mdoc would be a fine step to skip, if
you ask me.  I know SGML DocBook and use Jade to generate (normally) HTML.
 Jade won't output anything understood by man(1), though, afaik.

So I looked to xmlto.  Not packaged.  Requires GNU getopt(1) because
NetBSD's doesn't accept long options.  GNU getopt, well, let's just say it
doesn't build cleanly; I think it's happy only on Linux.  Not an
insurmountable problem, but at that point I decided to come here for
advice.

Any advice?

--jkl