Subject: Re: Howto submission for setting up CUPS
To: Jonathan <j.e.drews@worldnet.att.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/21/2004 12:40:26
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:01:02 -0500 (CDT)
Jonathan <j.e.drews@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> >    Also, sellecting 'polled' instead of 'interrupt driven' is recommended.
>
> I am not sure about this part because it seems to pertain to print
> servers. I wanted to focus on desktop clients and avoid more
> complicated setups. Michael Sweet affirms what you say. I quote again
> from his CUPS book for the benefit of other readers:

I'm not referring to server setups.  If you look at the lpt(4) manpage:

FILES
     /dev/lpt0    first interrupt-driven parallel port device
     /dev/lpa0    first polled parallel port device

When configuring cups with a parallel printer, it lets you choose "Parallel
(polled)" or "Parallel (interrupt driven)".  Choosing the later caused
system lookups (or something weird) last time I tried... and I was suggested
to use polled.

> Does altering the path cause a performance problem for other apps that
> should encounter /usr/bin first ? I really don't know myself. I suggested
> deletion of the /usr/bin printing commands because that is what I have
> done in FreeBSD. I would then put a make_lpr=NO in my FreeBSD
> /etc/make.conf.

Performance problems?  Don't think so.

> Good question. When I first ran CUPS it just would not print. I then
> looked in /var/log/cups/error_log and saw this:
>
> E [18/Apr/2004:14:00:22 -0500] Unable to convert file 0 to printable
> format for job 1!
> I [18/Apr/2004:14:00:22 -0500] Hint: Do you have ESP Ghostscript
> installed?
>
> So I uninstalled the regular ghostscript and installed the EPS one. Then
> CUPS worked.

Ah, ok.

Cheers

--