Subject: Re: 2.0 Guide
To: Daniel de Kok <daniel@evilbsd.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/11/2004 15:01:58
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Daniel de Kok wrote:
> The plan was to do some XML magic to convert parts of the standard release
> documentation (INSTALL.*) to a guide chapter. As far as I am concerned we
> can ditch the installation screenshots when the chapter is made up to date
> for NetBSD 2.0, because they only have little value. The user will see
> exactly the same thing on his/her screen (if the screenshots are
> up-to-date), so a good description of what the on-screen information means
> is much more important. The screenshots are only confusing if something
> changed and leaving them out is good for modem users too...

Um, given that our installation is directed by sysinst, having screenshots
and describing them sure seems the right thing from a user's POV, and
not doing so for technical reasons seems suboptimal.

I like the idea of reusing the INSTALL.* sources, maybe they can be
augmented with comments like "insert partitioning screenshot here" that
can be pulled in for the guide then.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>