Subject: Re: htdocs translation statistics
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Min Sik Kim <minskim@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 02/18/2004 23:30:49
--Signature=_Wed__18_Feb_2004_23_30_49_-0600_jpL_sMVMAd304pfP

* Martin Weber:

> > > I don't think that's good, because it will be forgotten. Rather use
> > > the date of the translated file (...)
> >
> > I don't think that this will work, either:  if there's a typo in the
> > english version and it gets updated, then both the RCS ID as well as the
> > timestamp change, yet the translated version may not require any
> > changes.
>
> Hehe, we can add the docs in the makefiles, with the translation depending
> on the genuine document and having ${TOUCH} as a production rule :-)
>
> Seriously, I think a date based comparison will be wrong a lot less
> times than a revision based comparison.

Yes, the false alarm (or false positive) rate of the date-based
comparison will be lower, but it will have false negatives.  Because
many translators are not NetBSD developers, the English version is
sometimes updated before their translation is committed.  And
sometimes translation is done by collaboration of many people, who
usually don't care about updates of the English version until they
finish translating the revision they're working on.  In such cases,
the updated text will never be translated unless translators compare
both language versions side by side.

On the other hand, the RCS ID-based comparison has zero false
negative.  As a translator, I prefer this way because it guarantees
that I have everything translated up to that revision.

--
Min Sik Kim