Subject: Re: How to do the Guide for 2.0
To: Jason R. Fink <jrf@NetBSD.org>
From: Daniel de Kok <daniel@evilbsd.net>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 11/13/2003 18:03:29
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Jason R. Fink wrote:
> Basically I could only come up with two ways:
>
> 	1. Create a 2.0 "snapshot" of the Guide that
> 	   excludes chapters that we are either ditching
> 	   or we cannot get up to speed by 2.0 release date.
>
> 	2. Create a 2.0 branch that does not have outdated
> 	   or dead content.
>
> Of course, there is a 3rd option, do nothing, just keep doing
> what we are doing and let the Guide be a "living" document forever.
>
> It is likely there are other options I haven't thought
> of so feel free to send back by way of the list.

I don't really like the idea of branching, because it requires
synchronisation between the -stable and the 2.0 branch for spelling
corrections, stylistic changes, etc. As far as I can see the only chapters
that are really version specific (in a way that it can be really
confusing) are the installation chapters (1.x) and the cgd chapter (2.0).
Wouldn't it suffice to note in the introduction that the cgd chapter is
2.0-specific? But I am not a CVS branching expert, so correct me if I am
completely wrong ;).

BTW. Wouldn't it be a good idea to create a detailed todo list (what needs
fixing, what chapters should be rewritten, etc.)?

With kind regards,
Daniel de Kok

---
Running NetBSD/i386 1.6.2_RC1 + CGD