Subject: Re: [docs project] i want to join!
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 08/04/2003 18:19:36
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 14:03:14 +0800, "Livid Torvalds"
<lividecay@hotmail.com> wrote:
> hello, i'm a coder from china, mainland. bsd-like systems are my
> favorite, i spent almost my all my time on them. so i really, really
> hope that i can do something for netbsd.org, the best bsd in my opinion.
>
> i think i can do something on the docs project, so that make more
> chinese people known that another great choice is netbsd!
>
> well, would you like to give me some guide? and tell me what is the most
>
> needed to be done first! so that i and my workmates(they love bsd
> too!!!) will start our work on the docs project as soon as i got your
> mail.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if one day a non-English speaker could learn
about and use NetBSD in his native language?

Since you ask, I'll suggest you start at www.netbsd.org.  I would think
the best way to make NetBSD accessible to people is to offer those pages
in Chinese.

The NetBSD Guide has been translated into Chinese.  You may be aware that
the Guide is being updated right now; I don't know how up to date the
Chinese version is.

I suppose it's obvious, but special attention needs to be devoted to
encodings and fonts.  The FreeBSD guide goes to some lengths to explain
how to set those up.

--jkl