Subject: Re: Guide 'pics'
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 07/25/2003 08:33:44
On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 08:46:34PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Jason R. Fink wrote:
>
> > Recreating them is basically, a pain in the arse.
>
> When I was making my custom sysinst, I did my testing just in a xterm. I
> didn't get all the different menus, but it should be easy enough to get
> most of them by running it from a console (and capturing it).

Works fine, you can do most of it non-root (group wheel) on a live system.
To run further through set up a vnd device and install to that.
You can build a non-crunched sysinst and just run it:
$ cd src/distrib/utils/sysinst
$ nbmake
$ cd src obj
$ cd arch/i386
$ ./sysinst

I'm not sure how to get a image of a xterm window though.

> Since most (or all) of the sysinst menus are in menuc(1) files, it seems
> like there should be some trivial way to just display them.

Run sysinst :-)
A lot of the menus are now dynamically generated, so you can't display
them without running sysinst.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk