Subject: Re: .{ps,pdf} version based on the current .xml files
To: None <jrf@adresearch.com>
From: Hiroki Sato <hrs@eos.ocn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 06/03/2003 03:41:17
"Jason R. Fink" <jrf@adresearch.com> wrote
  in <20030602093148.B13309@mail>:

jrf> Hiroki, can you send the details of how you successfully
jrf> got the conversion(s) to work to netbsd-docs@netbsd.org?

 OK.  What I did is the following:

 First, I made a lot of fixes (markup, indentation, entity substitution,
 public identifier resolution, and more) to the current NetBSD Guide.
 Some are essential, and some are for consistency and/or preparation
 for further improvements.  The current version of the guide uses xsltproc
 to typeset the entire document, but it cannot generate any printable versions.
 Strictly, although it is possible when using XSL-FO, there are
 toolchains in Java only as far as I know.  So, they cannot be used on
 NetBSD now, and most of them work for English docs only.

 The aforementioned changes are quite large and structural, so I do not
 know the changes are acceptable for you.  I have considered the following:
 1) we should be able to typeset the guide using both xsltproc and Jade,
 because xsltproc can generate no printable formats, and Jade can do so at
 the moment  2) more flexible customization layer of the documents and the
 stylesheets.  I think it is mandatory for localization work from my
 experience, and the current implementation is too poor  3) making the
 markups and the document structure more reasonable.

 I put a tarball of htdocs/guide snapshot I used to typeset at
 <URI: http://www.allbsd.org/~hrs/NetBSD/netbsd-guide-hrs-patched.tar.gz >.
 "cd guide/en && make install" generates versions of html, html-split,
 ps, and pdf respectively (you can found them at <URI: http://people.allbsd.
 org/~hrs/NetBSD/guide/en/ >.  Some typeset bugs are fixed now.) and install
 them to $DESTDIR.  It uses the following tools on my NetBSD/sparc64 box:

  iso8879-1986nb2
  docbook-xml-4.2nb4
  docbook-xsl-1.60.1nb1
  docbook-website-2.3nb3
  docbook-4.2nb3
  dsssl-docbook-modular-1.73
  tidy-20021108
  openjade-1.3
  teTeX2-2.0.2
  teTeX2-share-2.0.2
  teTeX2-bin-2.0.2nb1
  teTeX2-sharesrc-2.0.2
  tex-jadetex-3.13
  ghostscript-fonts-6.0
  ghostscript-gnu-7.05nb1

 (note that your pkgsrc/ may include the old versions of them since
 I updated some pkgsrc locally.)  In addition. you can
 also typeset the guide using xsltproc when STYLE_TYPE=xsl for
 HTML versions.  For the details, please see share/mk/*.mk and
 the respective stylesheets.

 I think what I wrote above should give an outline what I did, while
 I have more other improvements/fixes in my local tree now.  I am working on
 merging changes from the latest official source tree, enhancing
 the stylesheets and the build process, translating them into Japanese,
 and so on.  However, I say again, I do not understand very much where
 netbsd-docs folks want to go.  I am ready to offer my time to the work,
 and I would like to know your plan.  My change is much destructive
 to the existing structure (but I believe this is more reasonable), so
 I am afraid this conflicts with your goal.  If you have no particular
 plan, I have some plans of organization of the guide.