Subject: Re: The NetBSD Guide
To: Jason R. Fink <jrf@adresearch.com>
From: Daniel de Kok <daniel@nedbsd.nl>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 05/13/2003 00:21:48
--cmJC7u66zC7hs+87

Hello,

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 09:36:36AM -0400, Jason R. Fink wrote:
> As you are probably aware, the NetBSD Guide has stagnated
> a bit recently.

Yes, I already saw. I sent some patches for chap-audio.sgml to this
mailing list a while ago. But I never saw them applied (there are
some major errors in there).=20

> Grant Beattie and Hubert Feyrer recently got the English
> portion of the Guide to build the HTML target from XML
> Docbook format. Many thanks to them for their hard work.

I guess a comparable amount of work is needed for the translations,
is it ok to just continue in SGML?

> Surprisingly, there is not too much work that needs to be
> done. Following is a worklist I have compiled. I have assigned
> myself chapters to work on, if you would like to work on
> a specific chapter, please let me know.

Maintaining the guide seems to be quite a big job to me (especially
if it has to be usable for multiple versions), wouldn't it be a
good idea to assign a maintainer to chapters who look after those
chapters (keeping them up-to-date, make additions, etc.)? Then
the maintainers can provide diffs to the Guide maintainer (or
somebody with CVS access).

> 2boot                           review

Needs a description of mbrlabel in 5.4 for partitions that are
not in the disklabel.

> linux                           review

I would like to look into this.

> audio                           review

Needs bugfixing, I'd like too look into this one too.

With kind regards,
Daniel de Kok

--cmJC7u66zC7hs+87

--cmJC7u66zC7hs+87--